Cat Tien National Park is the reserve of natural resources in Viet Nam with lots of rare, specious and endemic genes of fauna and flora, as plentiful site for scientists, domestic and foreign tourists.
The natural area of Cat Tien National Park is 73,878ha including three areas of the South Cat Tien (Dong Nai Province) 39,108ha; Cat Loc (Lam Dong Province) 26,969ha and the West Cat Tien (Binh Phuoc Province) 7,801ha.
Cat Tien National Park is a part of the wet tropical forest complex and one of the specious natural forests remaining in Viet Nam. That is why this area is significant not only in Viet Nam but in the world as well.
5 types of forest in Nam cat Tien park
Located in the middle of two bio-geologies changing from Truong Son highland to Southern plain, Cat Tien National Park has 5 types of forest as follows:
– Often green big leaves forest: The majority is trees of Dipterocarpaceae such as: Dipterocarpus alatus, Dipterocarpus intricatus, Dalbergia alatus, Dalbergia mammosa, Afzelia xylocarpa, pterocargus macrocarpus
– Often green leaves with half fallen forest: Mainly are trees with fallen leaves in dry season as Lagerstroemia calyculata, Tetrameles nudiflora, Anogeissus acuminate
– Trees mixed with bamboo forest: This is affected by the human beings, the forest often green with half of which have leaves fallen by forest fire, toxic chemicals, the forest canopy is opened and bamboos have occupied. Popular trees are Mesua sp., Eagerstoernia calyculata, Xylia xylocarpa, two main bamboos are Bambusa procera and Gigantochloa sp.
– Purely bamboo forest: This is also affected by human beings. After the rice fields made by destroying the forest and be ignored creating favorable condition for the growing of bamboos. The two popular bamboos are Bambusa procera and Gigantochloa sp. Forming big parts of forest; There is only La Nga bamboo exists in flooded area
– Flooded plantation bench: Cat Tien National Park has big area of swamp with water resources not polluted yet. In the rainy season, the river water flooded an area of 2,500ha. It is the deepest area among Bau Sau, Bau Chim, Bau Co…